Dental implants are growing in popularity, and it’s easy to see why. They offer a permanent tooth replacement solution, one that looks just like natural teeth. Despite their popularity, many people have questions about the procedure, so we’ve compiled the facts.
Do dental implants hurt?
The procedure is performed with sedation techniques that keep you comfortable. With proper home care, many people return to work and other normal activities the next day. Some people experience a little discomfort and some bruising which typically lasts a short time after the procedure.
What are dental implants anyway?
It’s really quite simple.
• A small post is inserted into the jawbone (typically made of titanium), taking the place of the tooth root;
• A connector (called the abutment) is built on top of the implant;
• A crown (the replacement tooth) is created to match your natural teeth, and fitted onto the abutment.
What are the advantages of dental implants over dentures?
Here’s a handy summary of the advantages – and why so many people nowadays are choosing dental implants.
• They look like natural teeth;
• They feel like natural teeth;
• They don’t move around as dentures can;
• They can actually help reinforce your jawbone, keeping the same facial structure – there’s none of that sunken look that can develop with dentures as the gums recede.
How much time will it take?
The answer to this question is a little more complicated. Essentially, it depends on the patient. If a patient is in good health, with no gum or other dental issues that should be dealt with first, and a healthy jawbone, the process takes up to six to nine months, and involve at least two procedures.
After the titanium implant has been place, the bone needs to heal and graft around it—this is what makes the dental implant so solid, and helps to preserve your jawline. Once that occurs, the abutment and crown can be done as one procedure, in optimal cases.
It’s important to remember that dental implants have been performed for more than a half a century safely and effectively.
Looking for advice on dental implants, or any aspect of your dental or oral health? You’ll find the answer at Dr. F. Keshavarz Dentistry in Brampton, ON.
If you’re looking for a well-regarded and highly skilled dentist in the Brampton area, make an appointment with Dr. F. Keshavarz Dentistry by calling (905)-791-3867. Visit our website to learn more about our dental services.